Sunday, July 19, 2009

Another Brithday - now 32

The last two years have really flown by. It seems like I just had my 30th and now I'm on to 32. It was a good birthday spent with my family in Ohio. My sisters went out of there way to make me a great meal with some of my favorites - apple pie and tator tots . It was especially nice since I had been feeling in a funk leading up to my birthday. I'm still in the funk but slowly finding my way out of it. I think part of has to do with me being 32 and being where I am at in life. I have had a good two years since I decided to go travel but all of that two years has not been perfect. The hard times are when I'm back in the states and not working. I feel really unproductive. I also feel at times I have little control over what I do each day. Part of that is not having a car so that I can take off when I want to. In a way though I should be able to find enough things to keep me busy. And so the only one to blame is really me. Hopefully finding more things to exercise my mind as well as my body will help me get out of this funk.

Another thing about the hear and now and being 32 is I realize I'm not totally fulfilled yet with my life. Maybe I never will be totally fulfilled. All I know is that there is still some things missing. I love being able to travel and go to the ice and will continue to do so while figuring out those few things missing.

As an update, I've been back in the states now for two months and am in Ohio hanging out with family. I was in Denver visiting with my sis for the first 4 weeks. I've got two more months before deploying again to the ice. I am really looking forward to deploying and being busy again. I'll leave for St. Louis in a couple of days to visit friends out there and do my best to make it around the midwest once more to visit as many people as I can.

Someday I will get around to posting some pictures of Asia on the net. There are over 3,000 pictures to go through and I just haven't been motivated to look through them all and pick the best 100 or so to post. Most likely they will all go up on Facebook first.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I hope you find an hour or two to visit the bear and go to lunch when you come to STL!

Melissa said...

Oh yes... And Happy Birthday!

Unknown said...

Hey Jim, greetings from Texas! You are really living an adventurous life. I have always followed my heart and it has lead me in the right direction. Don't be too hard on yourself. Enjoy the moments. I too have read the books your recommended. Loved Three Cups of Tea.

HI to your family. Safe travels.

Steve Scholtens

TimB said...

Hi Jim! Not sure if you still have anything to do with this blog, but I just found your blog today and it looks like you've been up to some pretty amazing things since we both lived on Creighton Drive. I'd love to hear from you after all these years, so drop me a line or two if you get a chance. All the best.