Friday, February 13, 2009

The Challenge of Knitting

Being a Shuttle Driver in Antarctica pretty much requires you to attempt knitting. Some days we have a lot of down time and since the beginning of the shuttles department one of the best ways to pass the time is to take up some needles and work on a project. Last year I attempted to knit but it was a very sad attempt. I learned a little bit before going to nights. Once I went to nights I never really picked it back up. This year I decided I would give it a lot more time and try and get good at it. Turns out I am really really slow but do have some skill for it. With the help of a lot of expert knitters in the office I was able to knit a hat for myself as my first real project.


This is outside the Shuttles office with the four of us all working on knitting projects

After that hat I decided I'd make something for my new niece Abby who was born just a month before I started the hat.


This is me working on Abby's hat. At first I got very very focused when I was knitting to the point that any distraction would result in a mistake. I was also a full body knitter and would use my arms to wrap the yarn around the needles. Over time I have definitely relaxed a bit but during the knitting of Abby's hat I always looked pretty tense.

The following is the pattern I used to make the hat. I selected the blue because Abby has blue eyes. The pattern itself was picked out by my friend Kris. She is a kitting guru.


A Soft Baby Hat

Using the 24" (60cm) circular needle, cast on 224 sts.

Round 1: *p5, k9, repeat from * to end

Round 2: Repeat round 1

Round 3: *P5, ssk (slip to sts kinitwise individually, put left needle through front loops of both stitches, and k them together) k5, k2 tog. repeat from * to end

Round 4: *p5, k7, repeat from * to end

Round 5: *p5, ssk, make double vertical decrease (sl1k, ktog,psso), ktog, repeat from * to end

Round 6: *p5, k3, repeat from * to end

Round 7: *p5, k3 tog, repeat from * to end

Round 8: *p5, k1, repeat from * to end (96 sts remain)

Repeat Round 8 until piece measures approx. 3" in length from the beginning of the "stem" that grows out of the bell-shaped ruffle

Shape Crown:

Round 1: *p4, k2tog, repeat from * to end

Round 2: work even in pattern as established

Round 3: *p3, k2tog, repeat from * to end

Round 4: Work even

Round 5: *p2, k2tog, repeat from * to end

Round 6: Work even

Round 7: *p1, k2tog, repeat from * to end

Round 8: Work even

Round 9: *k2tog, repeat from *to end

Round 10: Work even

Round 11: *k2tog, repeat from * to end 8 stitches should remain

Round 12: *k2tog, repeat from * to end

Work on 4sts for 2 rounds, run yarn through live sts and fasten off

This is the finished product. It took me quite a long time to finish. Probably at least 20 hours of work. It wasn't the easiest pattern and and I was still learning as I was going.


Here is Abby with the hat. She is absolutely adorable!!
Another one with Abby wearing the hat.

A special thanks to all the Shuttle Drivers who taught me, helped me as I made mistakes, and gave me encouragement the whole way. Without you all I would not have been able to give my niece this great gift.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love it!!! Since I don't think you will make one for me for Genevieve- I am having Michelle make me one. Good Job Jim! We are IMPRESSED!