Saturday, February 23, 2008

In Christchurch

After a two day delay we made it to Christchurch. Sweet as! It is awesome to be off the ice and seeing green, the night sky, drinking draft beer (and for that matter beer that isn't over a year old), and eating food that isn't mass produced. I think at one point on the ice there was some kind of pork dish as the main dish for 14 straight days.

The day that we did fly out on was probably the worst of the weather over the last week. Blowing snow and very little visibility. On the original day we were supposed to fly there were some significant winds and some blowing snow so I'm sure it was better that we didn't fly that day. However, the next day was as beautiful as it gets. Not a huge amount of wind and blue skys for about 10 hours during the day that was more than enough time to get the flight in and out. Because it was so nice there was a rumor that the pilot had alcohol poisoning because the flight crew went out and partied the night the original flight was canceled. All rumor though but a normal occurrence in the life at McMurdo. But it really does seem weird how and when they determine when to fly since the weather wasn't good at all the day we got out.

I've been in Christchurch now for three days and am having a wonderful time. We arrived in the evening and were into the hotels by 10 that night and being a Thursday night everything was still open. We of course had to go out drinking. I was starving and because of the food situation at McMurdo one of the first things I saw was the golden arches and I thought how good that would taste. It really hit the spot. Probably won't eat it again while I'm here but it sure was nice to eat. So pretty much the last few days has been walking around the city getting some shopping in and going to the bars at night. It is a total money pit here. Everything is a bit expensive and after not spending any money for 4 months it is amazing how quickly it all goes. The Food is choice and I'm hoping to go back for some Indian food later tonight.

I'd like to get out of the city and start doing some camping and to see the countryside but I'm sort of forced to stay for just a little longer. I'm in the process of buying a van in order to drive around for the two months I'll be here and to save on the cost of a rental and to live out of for most of the time. Unfortunately to get enough cash together I needed to take money out at the ATM and with the limits it took me a few days to do it. I also am waiting for a few other people to get off the ice. After my flight north nothing has come out. They are flying today but it is a three day delay for this group. I will be driving up to the kayak trip with a friend on that flight. It should be an awesome trip.

I'm staying at a pretty decent place in Christchurch but the best place right now to stay is the Hotel So. It is a new place with all modern features. I know some people staying there so I've visited often. They allow free internet access and wireless if you have a laptop so it is absolutely the perfect place for backpackers like me. I don't even stay there and can still use the wireless so I've been able to catch up on a few things today. Normal cost of internet is around $3 an hour. If I make it back through CHC this is definitely the place I'm going to be staying at. They even have the place all wired up so that in the morning when the alarm goes off the light gradually comes on. Pretty cool for a reasonably priced place even if the rooms are small.

So it is bit sad that I'm off the ice. There is so much going on here that it is hard to dwell on it that much but there have been times that I'm already missing McMurdo and especially certain people from the ice. It would be ashamed if I fall out of touch with some of these people and I'm going to do as much as I can to not make that happen. In fact that is one of my major goals in these coming months since I haven't been that great e-mailing with friends that are back in the states. I'm going to do as much as I can to reconnect with everyone. So check your e-mail!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it off the ice. Have fun in NZ and keep posting.